the one skincare item that always confuses me is toner. i have read so many times that it is one of the most important skincare steps in your regiment. but what exactly is a toner? what is its purpose?
a toner is used after cleansing and supposed to remove remnants from your cleanser while preparing your skin to effectively absorb your essence/serum and moisturizer.
After doing some research, this is what I found out:
- you should use toner after cleansing, because even with the gentlest cleanser your skin needs to be replenished with what has been rinsed away (you are not only washing away to sebum and dirt on your skin but also your skin’s natural moisture)
- a toner can quickly and efficiently provide your skin with antioxidants, soothing agents, and hydrating ingredients
- therefore can toner enhance your skin’s surface, providing it what it needs to look fresher, smoother, and hydrated
- it can also serve to remove any last traces of makeup your cleanser might not have gotten to
- toners are a secret weapon in keeping your skin looking healthy, young and beautiful
- using a toner is very important for people with oily and acne-prone skin, as they make sure that your skin is probably cleansed and prepped for the following essence/serum
- furthermore toners shrink your pores, after having washed your face with lukewarm water your pores are open. not only is this an opportunity for the toner to work as a deep cleanser but it will also close the pores again
besides the right essence/serum to tackle your specific skin concern, toner is the one step that will change their effectiveness. charlotte cho, the founder of sokoglam, theklog and author of the little book of skincare once made a comparison that has truly changed my approach in my skincare routine. your skin acts like a sponge, when it is try it is not possible for it to absorb whatever you put on it. but if it is wet the absorption is very easy and more effectively. a toner acts exactly like that, it is a product that besides the already explained advantages as a product itself also enhances the effectiveness of the products you put on your skin afterwards. i am hoping to get my hands on one of the most popular toners and probably one of the best known korean skincare products, the beauty water by son&park.